If you’re finding it hard to get started in your chosen career—or your kids are doing it tough—you’re not alone. Many other young Australians are in the same boat, with a high proportion of young people working in part-time hospitality and retail jobs, even when they have uni degrees.
The latest AMP.NATSEM report (AMP NATSEM 36: Australia’s Changing Workforce) shows that demographic, structural and technological change has resulted in an uncertain labour market. There’s more competition for good jobs and even traditional casual jobs are proving harder to find.
“It’s a tough environment for many young people looking to get their foot on the career ladder” Paul Sainsbury, AMP Chief Customer Officer
But don’t let that put you off! In getting through school or uni you’ve already demonstrated determination, drive and resilience. Now it’s time to take the next step and market your skills to get your dream job. Or if you’re lucky enough to be working for your dream company, it’s time to step up and secure the perfect role.
Here are 10 ways to start taking control of your future.
- Read the latest AMP.NATSEM report, which gives you a genuine picture of life as young jobseeker in 21st century Australia.
- Consider unpaid work like internships - Try combining work experience in your chosen field with part-time work in an area like hospitality to pay the bills.
- Try, try and try again - Perseverance pays dividends. And it helps if your chosen career matches your passion. Enthusiasm can carry you a long way with prospective employers.
- Start your own business - If you have a great business idea and the passion to make it work, why not give yourself a job?
- Be flexible - It might be a good job, but far away from home. If getting your foot in the door involves a move interstate for a year or two, it’s worth considering. Once you’ve got some experience, it will be much easier to get a role nearer home.
- Keep networking - Remember, it’s not just what you know, it’s also who you know! Jobs aren’t always advertised so cultivate your network and look for useful mentors.
- Make your resume stand out - Make it relevant! And don’t forget to use the power of social media— make sure your LinkedIn profile is well crafted and up to date.
- Get skilled up - Make sure your qualifications match your career aspirations.
In a competitive world, there are plenty of ways to stand out from the crowd and secure the perfect role. Good luck!
Important note: © AMP Life Limited. This provides general information and hasn’t taken your circumstances into account. It’s important to consider your particular circumstances before deciding what’s right for you. Although the information is from sources considered reliable, AMP does not guarantee that it is accurate or complete. You should not rely upon it and should seek qualified advice before making any investment decision. Except where liability under any statute cannot be excluded, AMP does not accept any liability (whether under contract, tort or otherwise) for any resulting loss or damage of the reader or any other person.